Friday, December 5, 2008

A Big Week of Firsts











What a busy week of firsts we've had. Monday morning I was changing Wilson's sheets and I had Bennett on the floor for some tummy time. He was already starting to squawk so I knew I didn't have much time before I needed to pick him up. I managed to finish and turned around only to find Bennett looking straight up at me. I had to think for a minute to make sure I hadn't turned him over myself. Then I said, "Do it again, baby," and flipped him over again. Bennett just looked up at me like, "Do what, this?" and his giant cranium tilted back, he pushed off with his feet and he was on his back again. What a smart kid! Of course I have no photographic or video proof of this occurance because every time I turned on a camera or my phone to record it, he pretended not to know anything about this rolling over business. But, if any of you doubt, please contact my friend Rachel or my sister Heidi who have both witnessed it first hand!
The second first is Wilson actually volunteering to go and talk to Santa. We were at the Festival of Trees and his friend, Parker, was in line to talk to Santa. At first Wilson wanted nothing to do with the bearded stranger, but then I asked him if he wanted to tell Santa what he wanted for Christmas and he gave an emphatic yes. The whole time we were in line I expected him to change his mind. Even as Santa invited him over, I was waiting for the meltdown, but it never came! He sat right on Santa's lap and when asked what he wanted for Christmas, he replied, "A candy cane!", which was perfect because that was what Santa was giving out to all his visitors and I think that was the main motivation for seeing the big man, but it was a cute moment.
Next was Wilson's first real, professional haircut. Pretty sad considering the kid's almost two-and-a-half! He really needed it, though. They tried everything to get him to sit still, Little Einsteins, bubbles, a sucker, the hair stylist even gave him her comb, but he wasn't having any of it. He screamed and cried and even tried to run the stylist through with her own comb (I'm proud to say that Wilson was the first to try that one!). In the end he calmed down and looked very handsome and quite a little bit older with his new do. Thanks to my mom who came with me for moral and physical support in case it went really badly!
Wilson also had his first experience drawing on the walls with markers! He was supposed to be playing in his playroom when he came to the bottom of the stairs to show me his orange hands. He was very disturbed at the mess on his hands. I asked what he was doing to get orange hands and he very candidly told me he'd been coloring on the walls. Well, it was more funny than anything and it was my fault for leaving the marker out in the first place. For penance he had to help me scrub the walls, which he gladly did. That made it even harder to be mad at him.
Bennett and Wilson also ended up in the tub together for the first time that night. I had it in my head that that moment would come a lot further down the line, but Wilson was really good with Bennett in the tub and even shared his Mickey tub toys! Finally, since Wilson was a seasoned veteran with haircuts, Ben decided to let Wilson GIVE his first haircut! So, if Ben's hair is a little crooked, try not to be critical because his barber is 2 1/2 years old!










1 comment:

Marcie said...

Don't you love the "firsts"? It's a busy baby-book week. Your boys are so darn cute. Love the cut and the marker. I'm glad every 2-year old does that.