Saturday, August 29, 2009

13.1.....done.

This is me at the final 10th of a mile. Do I look like I'm ready to pass out?
The race started 20 minutes late so the boys were really early. To pass the time Ben was teaching Wil to clap when he saw the runners go by.

Unfortunately, but the time I got there, Wil was all clapped out.
Bennett has one of his faces going.
What a happy boy for gettin up at 6:45!

Still waiting for mommy.
My good friend Rachel. Bennett is her secret boyfriend.
I was so happy when we finished!

My cute supportive family.
Wilson really liked my finishers medal. He calls it my running necklace.



I guess I did learn something in YWs. You know that whole setting goals, creating plans and carrying them out thing? Well, I did it. I don't normally brag about myself or my accomplishments, but I think this deserves a shout out. At the beginning of the year I decided I wanted to run a half marathon before I turned 30 (which is rapidly approaching). So, I set the date and began training. A short 10 weeks later I found myself heading up the Blacksmith Canyon at 6:00 am in a crowded bus full of runners thinking to myself, "Am I really going to do this?" My saving grace was that my ultra amazing more experienced and faster running friend Rachel was by my side the whole time. She pushed me hard down the canyon (not literally, ouch!) and kept me going at a pretty quick pace. By mile 9 I could feel myself getting fatigued, but she kept me going. I was so excited to see my boys at the finish line. That made the experience complete to have my family there rooting for me. My final time was 2:00:30 which is about 15 minutes faster than my original goal. It is probably one of the hardest and funnest things I have accomplished since Bennett was born. It will probably take me about that long for my body to recover from this! I am so grateful for a strong body and mind that helped me do it! While running I kept saying to myself, "Just finish and you'll never have to do this again." But once I was finished and was back at the hotel I was ready to do it again! Running is so addictive and I hope I can keep doing it as long as possible. It has been a good weekend that oddly enough was all focused on me! That like never happens, but it felt wonderful.

3 comments:

Hilary said...

Wow, that is awesome! Congrats on such a huge accomplishment . . . I am entirely impressed!
And your boys look as cute as ever.

Marcie said...

Im-press-ive! I am seriously proud of you!

Heidi #1 said...

Good job Steph! I am proud of you, and I am so glad that you accomplished this goal for yourself. I hope you keep running cause it does give you a hobby and it makes you happy! Nice job sista! I look up to you and all that you do.

wingon