Wednesday, June 10, 2009

4 X 4 Farming





The Supervisors




I have always wanted to have a garden, but it seems like we can't even keep our lawn alive, let alone any tiny seeds and plants. But, with a lot of help from our parents, we built and started our own little veggie garden. It is an above ground 4 X4 box garden. It was our fhe on Monday and it was really fun. Even Wilson wanted to help water (a.k.a. drown) the plants and planted his own pumpkin seeds. This may seem like a small thing to most people, but it was a monumental moment for the Hardings to get it together enough to do it. We are excited about our new project and hope to get some kind of miniature crop. I will be very discouraged if everything dies! I am glad we have had so much rain to give us a good start. We planted tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, one zucchini plant (enough for the neighborhood according to my dad), carrots, beans, squash, parsley, basil and one pumpkin. Happy farming!

3 comments:

Marcie said...

Horray for gardens. I love square-foot gardening. The raised flower beds are the way to go.
I hope you reap a great harvest this fall!

Hilary said...

I have wanted to build one of these so bad . . . . you'll have to let me know how you like it! It's one of our 2010 projects!

Heidi #1 said...

I am truly jealous, and so proud of you! You are using your back yard to its partial potential!! YEAH! Next is some flowers...maybe! I hope that next year I will have a house and a yard so that I can garden too, not just in my 6X2 flower bed in the front and my containers. "SIGH"

P.s. tell dad now that I kow he can build those I will be calling next year!